Contents & Navigation
- 1. Keep informed
- 2. Always be ready
- 3. Take the road only in case of emergency
- 4. Snowstorm: If you stay home during a storm
- 5. Plan what to eat
- 6. Keep snow removal tools at your fingertips
- 7. Shelter yourself if you’re stuck outside
- 8. Do not get out of your car
- 9. Stay alert after the storm
1. Keep informed
Tune into your local television and radio stations and evacuate your home if it is advisable.
- Be sure to turn off the power, gas, and water before leaving.
2. Always be ready
Keep your car ready:
- Fill the tank;
- Install your winter tires;
- Park in your garage or where your engine is protected from blowing snow.
In winter, always keep a small emergency kit in your car that contains:
- A bag of sand
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Non-perishable snacks
- Of drinking water
- A flashlight
- Starting cables
- A shovel
- A window scraper
- A warm hat
- Impervious gloves
- A first aid kit.
- Emergency generators
|MalloMe Single Camping Sleeping Bag - 4 Season Warm Weather and Winer, Lightweight, Waterproof -...||136 Reviews||$97.99 from $42.49||Buy on Amazon|
|TETON Sports Celsius XXL -18C/0F Sleeping Bag; 0 Degree Sleeping Bag Great for Cold Weather Camping;...||1,265 Reviews||$69.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Sleepingo Double Sleeping Bag For Backpacking, Camping, Or Hiking. Queen Size XL! Cold Weather 2...||2,511 Reviews||$57.95||Buy on Amazon|
|X-CHENG Double Sleeping Bag - Converts into 2 Singles - 32°F For Backpacking, Camping, Hiking,...||236 Reviews||$54.99 from $27.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Coleman North Rim Adult Mummy Sleeping Bag||1,185 Reviews||$69.99 $46.98||Buy on Amazon|
|Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag With 2 Pillows And A Carrying Bag, Waterproof Lightweight 2 Person...||920 Reviews||$48.99||Buy on Amazon|
Healthy non-perishable snacks
|Ronco 5-Tray Beef Jerky Machine with Kit||191 Reviews||$49.99 $39.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Millennium Bars Assorted 24-Pack||121 Reviews||$36.99||Buy on Amazon|
|WholeMe Grain-Free Clusters (Cinnamon Banana Chip) 12-Count, 1.5oz Snack Packs, Paleo & Gluten-Free||28 Reviews||$27.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Envirokidz Organic Gluten-Free Cereal, Peanut Butter Panda Puffs, 25 Ounce Bag (Pack of 3)||696 Reviews||$26.32 $24.39||Buy on Amazon|
|Envirokidz Organic Gluten-Free Crispy Rice Bars, Koala Chocolate, 6 Ounce (Pack of 6)||356 Reviews||$26.71 $25.14||Buy on Amazon|
Of drinking water
|Glaceau smartwater (20-Fluid Ounce Bottle, Pack of 24)||944 Reviews||$37.20 from $19.96||Buy on Amazon|
|Kona Deep Pure Deep Ocean Electrolyte Mineral Water (500 ML), 24 Count||34 Reviews||$34.83 $34.63||Buy on Amazon|
|Aloe Gloe, Organic Aloe Water, Crisp Aloe, 15.2-Ounce (Pack of 12)||200 Reviews||from $23.67||Buy on Amazon|
|Nestlé Pure Life Bottled Purified Water, 16.9 oz. Bottles, 24/Case||101 Reviews||$16.98 from $7.98||Buy on Amazon|
|HFactor Hydrogen Infused Water, Pure Drinking Water, 6 Count Spout||36 Reviews||$13.98||Buy on Amazon|
|Anker Super Bright Tactical Flashlight, Rechargeable (18650 Battery Included), Zoomable, IP65...||1,995 Reviews||$25.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Maglite LED 3-Cell D Flashlight, Black||3,159 Reviews||$54.95 $26.22||Buy on Amazon|
|GearLight LED Tactical Flashlight S1000 [2 PACK] - High Lumen, Zoomable, 5 Modes, Water Resistant,...||1,517 Reviews||$23.99 $18.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Snow Moover 39" Extendable Snow Brush with Squeegee & Ice Scraper | Foam Grip | Auto Snow Brush |...||427 Reviews||$23.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Snow Moover Small Car Brush and Ice Scraper with Foam Grip | Auto Snow Removal | Small Car...||580 Reviews||$14.96||Buy on Amazon|
|Hopkins 999CT Mallory 35" Ultra MAXX Snow Brush (Colors may vary)||261 Reviews||$13.99||Buy on Amazon|
First aid kit
|MFASCO - First Aid Kit - Complete Emergency Response Trauma Bag - For Natural Disasters - Orange||249 Reviews||$79.99||Buy on Amazon|
|First Aid Kit Hard Red Case 326 Pieces Exceeds OSHA and ANSI Guidelines 100 People - Office, Home,...||699 Reviews||$34.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Small First Aid Kit for Hiking, Backpacking, Camping, Travel, Car & Cycling. With Waterproof...||1,032 Reviews||$54.95 $34.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Swiss Safe 2-in-1 First Aid Kit (120 Piece) + Bonus 32-Piece Mini First Aid Kit: Compact,...||1,936 Reviews||$42.95 $27.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Be Smart Get Prepared 250 Piece First Aid Kit, Exceeds OSHA ANSI Standards for 50 People - Office,...||357 Reviews||$22.29||Buy on Amazon|
3. Take the road only in case of emergency
Drive in a snowstorm only in an emergency.
- Avoid being alone, if possible, and stay on the highways.
- Tell a loved one where you are going and when you plan to arrive at your destination.
4. Snowstorm: If you stay home during a storm
Have clothes and blankets on hand in case of a power outage.
- Plan for a backup heat, such as a kerosene or propane gas stove, and enough fuel for a week.
- If you have a chimney or a woodstove, make provisions of wood.
- Keep emergency phone numbers in your community at hand, including numbers for medical emergencies.
- Prepare an emergency care kit
5. Plan what to eat
- If you usually use an electric stove, plan an alternative cooking method (such as a camping stove or gas grill).
- Since it is dangerous to use many of these devices indoors, be sure to keep them outdoors or use them only in well-ventilated areas as stated in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Collect enough food and water for a week.
6. Keep snow removal tools at your fingertips
Store the snow removal tools you need – rock salt, shovels, scrapers, snowblowers – in an easy-to-access place, even after a heavy snowfall.
In addition, stock up with silicone spray to lubricate your snow blower.
7. Shelter yourself if you’re stuck outside
If you are stuck outdoors during a snowstorm and you are walking, find a shelter nearby.
- If the snow prevents you from seeing straight ahead, follow a fence or ruts on the road.
- Put your scarf over your nose and mouth to protect your lungs, ears, and face, and prevent suffocation by wind and snow.
8. Do not get out of your car
If you are stuck in a car, do not go out.
- Run the engine from time to time to warm up, but leave a window open.
- Make sure the tailpipe is not blocked by the snow as carbon monoxide could get back into the car.
- If you run out of gas, close all the windows and look for help.
- Move your arms and legs to warm up and keep you awake.
- Do not fall asleep.
9. Stay alert after the storm
Keep listening to breaking news and weather forecasts even after the storm is over.
- Major snowstorms are often followed by even colder temperatures.
- If you go outside, dress warmly and pay attention to falling ice; drop them with a rake or a stick.
- Avoid overwork. Many people suffer from heart attacks by shoveling snow. Walking in heavy snow or pushing a car is also very hard for the heart.
- Avoid driving until the roads are clear.
Do not wait for a storm to knock on your door to take emergency action. Prepare your emergency and rescue kits in advance, equip yourself properly and plan what you would do in the event of a prolonged storm, especially if electricity is scarce.
- Home Weather Station Guide: How is the Weather?
- Chocolate Weight Loss: An Incredibly Easy Method That Works For All
- Chocolate Facts: Cracking The True Or False On Chocolate Code
- You Are Not The Only Person Concerned About Weight gain
- Ergonomic Pillow Is Crucial To Your Body (New Guide)
- Now You Can Have The Spring Mattress Of Your Dreams
- The Latest Trend In Memory Foam Mattress – Secret Guide
- Why Are Essential Oils For Yoga The Most Trending Thing Now?
- DoTERRA Essential Oils Reviews: The Trending Stuff About doTERRA
- 45 Best DoTERRA Oils That Will Make Your Life Better (New Guide)
- 15 Well Known Pocket Spring Mattress for Better Sleep (Buying Guide)
- Aloe Vera Weight Loss: All You Need To Know (New Guide)
- Yoga Block or Yoga Brick: How to Choose Your?
- 10 Things You Most Likely Didn’t Know About Electric Scooters Battery.
- Which Hoverboard Should I Buy? [New Guide]
Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products.