How to predict tornadoes and how do they form?
Why are tornadoes so unpredictable? How are they formed? Why the United States seems particularly affected?
Contents & Navigation
- How to predict tornadoes and how do they form?
- The tornado can be expected 13 minutes before training
- Meeting of hot air and cold air
- Countries most affected by tornadoes:
- Tornado Alley
- Tornado safety tips
- Visible signs of a tornado
- Prepare for the arrival of the tornado
- Safety instructions after passing a tornado
The tornado can be expected 13 minutes before training
With this tool, it is possible to detect thunderstorms and air flows and thus predict the occurrence of a tornado. But we are in the deduction, without absolute certainty (a bit like the weather forecast).
For more precision, the formation of a tornado can be observed with the naked eye, through the formation of a “cloudy funnel”.
If this funnel, which seems to come down from the clouds, touches the ground, it is the birth of a tornado. But the delay between the creation of this funnel and the appearance of the tornado is very short.
Meeting of hot air and cold air
Countries most affected by tornadoes:
Although tornadoes are forming everywhere (except in Antarctica), some areas are more sensitive than others, as recalled by NOAA, especially for countries located at certain latitudes.
We see that if the United States is the first concerned with 1000 tornadoes a year, they are not the only ones. Thus, in proportion to the size of the territory, it is the United Kingdom which has to bear the most tornados (but relatively weak).
The Tornado Alley covers several states, extending over the Great Plains of the United States, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska or Kansas.
This region is particularly conducive because it allows the meeting of cold and warm air masses, coming from one side of Canada, from the other side of the ocean:
Tornado safety tips
- Buy an NOAA weather radio
8 Best NOAA weather radio
The worst tornadoes carry winds of 402 km / h (250 mph) or more, and their path of destruction can be greater than 80 km (50 miles) long.
Every family should be prepared. Tornadoes can hit very suddenly.
To be sure to receive the alerts, place an NOAA weather radio (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) in a high traffic area of the house.
- The radio broadcasts weather warnings and local forecasts continuously.
- Equipped with a battery backup and an alert tone, it will automatically inform you of an impending severe weather event.
- A tornado watch tells you to stay alert as storms approach; a tornado alert means that a tornado has been spotted in your area and tells you to take shelter in a designated area.
Visible signs of a tornado
- A funnel-shaped cloud is a classic indicator, but a cloud of dust and debris can also announce a tornado.
- Other precursors of a tornado: a dark sky, often greenish; a big hail; or a roar like a freight train.
Prepare for the arrival of the tornado
- Stay away from windows, and crawl under solid pieces of furniture, such as a workbench or heavy table.
- Protect your head and neck with your arms.
- If you are in the office or at school, try to shelter in a solid part of the building.
- If possible, avoid places with long-range roofs, such as gyms, cafeterias, auditoriums and shopping malls.
- Organize exercises that will allow you to reach the shelter quickly.
- Equip the area with a power supply kit.
- Do you agree on a meeting place after the tornado in case you are separated?
Safety instructions after passing a tornado
- Get out of any building that smells of gas or chemical vapors, or where the damage is severe, as it may collapse after the tornado.
- Use the phone only for emergency calls.
- Turn on the television or the radio to see the evolution of the situation.
- Clean up spills of drugs, bleaches and flammable liquids immediately.
- Watch your pets. Stress can cause them to become aggressive. Confine the dogs for several hours where they feel safe, like in a kennel or a crate.
- Home Weather Station Guide: How is the Weather?
- Choose Lighting: How To Light Your Home
- 18 Tips That Will Make You Guru In House Clean
- Organized Kitchen: An Incredibly Easy Method
- Ergonomic Pillow Is Crucial To Your Body (New Guide)
- Now You Can Have The Spring Mattress Of Your Dreams
- The Latest Trend In Memory Foam Mattress – Secret Guide
- 15 Well Known Pocket Spring Mattress for Better Sleep (Buying Guide)
- Home Generators (Backup Generator): Why We Need Emergency Generators for Houses?
- Snowstorm & Winter Preparedness: How to Prepare For a Blizzard at Home?
Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products.